Saturday, September 27, 2014

Monster Hunter = My New Dream Job (Supernatural - TV-14)

Prepare yourself for a bit of personal backstory.

I heard of this show several years ago and, honestly, was never quite interested. That is...until I joined Tumblr. GIFs of Supernatural popped up on my dashboard often, mainly due to a friend of mine who also loves the show. It began to feel like an inside joke that I didn't get because I wasn't in the group! Obviously, I had to check it out. When I noticed it was on TV, I watched a couple of episodes. My first episodes ever were 8.2 and 8.20. Then, I got busy and forgot about it until this July. I started from the beginning and was in love by Season 3. I just finished Season 8 this week. (Seasons 1-8 are currently available on Netflix.) It's now my personal goal to get through Season 9 on Hulu by the television premiere of Season 10 on Oct. 7. 

Video credit: The CW Television Network

This show means a lot to me, personally, because some of the main themes in the story arc mirror themes I'm dealing with in my own life and seeing those presented as real and valid in a television series is...special. You don't see television get deep very often.

First of all, I am always shocked that this show doesn't have a larger fanbase in my hometown area. The very first episode opens in Lawrence, KS, of all places, and is Sam and Dean's hometown. Lawrence is about 20 minutes from my own hometown! The apocalypse, in the show, takes place just outside of Lawrence's city limits. Much later in the series (Season 8), Sam and Dean take refuge in a hunter group's abandoned lair in the rural area of Topeka, KS. Seriously, my friends, I feel like we need a memorial here for these brave souls who have been keeping us safe from the supernatural since 2005.


The basics of the show are simple enough. Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) Winchester are brothers who pride themselves in being the best monster hunters in the Midwest. They are always on the road taking on cases and battling angels, demons, ghosts, and all other manner of hellish creatures. The only recompense for their job is the knowledge that another individual, another family, is safe.

Photo credit: www.ign.com

As I said before, this show deals with some pretty intense themes - not necessarily what you'd expect from a show about 24/7 Halloween. God, guilt, and trust come up OFTEN and it's really cool to see how they deal with these as regular human beings...who just happen to hunt demons on the side.

Granted, Supernatural is NOT for the average television junkie. It's certainly not everyone's cup of tea content wise, especially if you're not one to make room for religious coexistences and bending.

But I love that it breaks all of the rules of television - sending the characters to the 'real world', various sitcom humor...and the king of Hell watches far more Disney than you would think. And oh my gosh...Felicia Day's appearances are the greatest.

GIF credit: rebloggy.com

There are times that the plot gets lost or tiresome and the emotions get hazy or seem exaggerated - which is to be expected from a show of this nature. But, personally, I LOVE THIS SERIES. It's created a place for itself very close to my heart and I am officially a fan. Rating: 3.5/5 pints of Ben & Jerry's.

1 comment:

  1. It's crazy that this show is on season 10 already. I've been a big fan of Supernatural myself and have been watching since Season 4 came on TV. The CW was kind of the home for Kansas back in the day with Supernatural starting in Lawrence and Smallville taking place in Kansas as well. Unfortunately like all CW shows they choose quantity over quality which is the pitfall of this show but I'm with you... I'm still a fan. Only read a few minor grammar errors but love the review.

    ReplyDelete