Sunday, September 21, 2014

A Robin Williams Tribute (Flubber; Goodmorning, Vietnam; The Birdcage; Aladdin)

Today, I will discuss four films featuring the late, great Robin Williams. Since his death, Netflix has added numerous shows featuring this lost actor. And since September 7th-13th was National Suicide Prevention Week and September 10th was World Suicide Prevention Day, I thought it was only fitting to feature Robin Williams for this week's post. Now I'm sure you're thinking, Ugh, another tribute post. Well get over yourself. Because he was a fantastic and talented man and he deserves to be commended for his good work.

The four films I have for you today are Flubber, Good Morning, Vietnam, The Birdcage, and of course Disney's Aladdin.

Flubber (1997):

Image credit: www.streetgridmanila.com

Ah, Flubber. I was just tiny when this movie was released on VHS! It has always been one of those films that is difficult to find and ridiculously satisfying to watch. I was insanely happy when I saw that it had been added to Netflix Instant Play. If you're looking for a film with a good moral lesson that will satisfy your inner science geek, choose Flubber. Rating: 3/5 pints of Ben & Jerry's.

Good Morning, Vietnam (1987): 


GIF credit: staffmeup.com


I watched this movie specifically for this project. Never had I seen it before. And let me tell you, it was a marvelous experience. As a history buff, I loved the attention to details in this movie. It spouted a bit of political commentary about American foreign policy and overseas involvement. And even though this movie was made twenty-seven years ago about a war that ended forty years ago...it's still very much relevant today. Rating: 4.5/5 pints of Ben & Jerry's.

The Birdcage (1996):

 
YouTube credit: Bob Keefe

It felt weird watching this movie again... I was watching The Birdcage with my family the night Robin Williams died. When we found out the next morning, it was shocking. Someone with so much light and laughter still had his demons to face. The Birdcage is hilarious. The film features Robin Williams and Nathan Lane as partners who own and live above a nightclub. We laughed the whole way through. So if you're looking for a film that will make your heart happy, I think you'll find that The Birdcage will suit your fancy. Rating 4.5/5 pints of Ben & Jerry's.

Aladdin (1992): 

Image credit: disney.wikia.com

Right in the feels. How could one have a Robin Williams movie night without including Aladdin? The beloved Genie sings some of the most recognizable Disney songs in this fantastic film. And who says it's just for children? Aladdin sits in a category that anyone at any age can appreciate with just a little heart. Rating: 5/5 pints of Ben & Jerry's.

Happy marathoning!


1 comment:

  1. I love Robin Williams! Great post. I am a long winded person myself so the only criticism I have is that if your reviews are longer you won't be hurting my feelings!

    ReplyDelete