Sunday, October 12, 2014

Everything I Know about Fashion, I Learned from Betty Suarez. (Ugly Betty - TV-PG)

Let me tell you about this little show my brother and I binged about a year and a half ago. It was the bright colors and aura of sass that caught our attention. When we found Ugly Betty on Netflix, we were hooked.

Image credit: deadline.com

This show was actually a big part of my decision to get involved in mass media. I find Betty super inspiring. She's honest about her fears and her insecurities. But she takes major risks on a daily basis despite them because she knows that there is the potential for great payoff. Her coworkers at the fashion magazine try to tear her down, and sometimes it gets to her. She doesn't lie about not caring what others think...she does...but she makes an effort to be herself anyway. This is who she is. Unapologetically. 

Video credit: FilmsLobby, YouTube

The show, being about a fashion magazine, also brings about some interesting social commentary. From Season 1, Betty and Daniel Meade try to take the magazine in a different direction. They're tired of working with plastic looking models and publishing editorials about eating disorders. 

We get an inside look on a cutthroat industry...these people can be downright evil to each other just to move up in rank. But Betty doesn't play their game. She tries to come by success honestly and...in the end, that pays off immensely. 

GIF credit: gifsoup.com

So if you're looking for a quirky, but heart-felt comedy to binge. Ugly Betty would likely suit your fancy. Rating: 4.5/5 pints of Ben & Jerry's.

1 comment:

  1. As a guy who writes about superheroes I'm sure it will come as no surprise to hear that I haven't seen this show either but you know how to sell it. Just me being honest I will probably never watch it but you make it sound interesting which I will credit to your writing.

    ReplyDelete