Tuesday, July 21, 2015

The Precious Butterfly that is Ned (Our Idiot Brother - 2011 - R)

So lately I've been obsessed with this show that only ran for like two seasons in 2000 called Dark Angel - which sadly is not streaming instantly on Netflix. While that is my current binge TV show, I've got a few movies to review for you in the meantime! The first is a film I discovered thanks to Netflix recommendations when I watched a bunch of indie films in a row - I'm so glad I took a risk on Our Idiot Brother. It's precious.

GIF credit: pandawhale.com

Ned, portrayed by Paul Rudd (I Love You, Man, Ant-Man), is somewhat of a clueless hippie with a giant heart. After a run in with the law, Ned decides he needs to finally get his life together. As he puts together some money for a place of his own, Ned couch-surfs at his sisters' in the meantime - played by Zooey Deschanel, Emily Mortimer, and Elizabeth Banks. The sisters struggle with their brother's disruptive presence as he's notorious for making a bit of a mess.

Video credit: Movieclips, YouTube

I found Ned to be a lovable character with a precious soul and a hopeful personality. In my favorite line out of the entire film he says, "I like to think that if you put your trust out there, if you really give people the benefit of the doubt, see their best intentions, people will rise to the occasion." And honestly, that's kind of the message I got out of the film. Ned never loses his faith in the universe and his family. He's the chillest dude you'll ever meet - he's also one of the most positively passionate.

Image credit: richredman.wordpress.com

The film also features characters portrayed by Rashida Jones, Hugh Dancy, Adam Scott, and Steve Coogan, among others. Some goofy, some supportive, some less than... As for the plot, while entertaining, the movie is a little choppy. There are a lot of little bits going on in the supporting characters' lives which tend to pull the movie in a lot of directions at once. Part of me wants to say that this is distracting, part of me wants to say that it works for this film.

GIF credit: pandawhale.com

In the end of course, Ned's homecoming pulls his family closer together - he even gets his dog, Willie Nelson, back! Yay for the good feels! While the film has it's issues mechanically, I found it to be an overall adorable indie flick. Rating: 3.5/5 pints of Ben & Jerry's

No comments:

Post a Comment