Friday, November 7, 2014

New Indie Films Added! (Liberal Arts, In A World..., Kinky Boots, and Mr. Nobody)

I don't know about you...but I am a huge fan of independent films. Several of my favorites fall into this category, including Into the Wild, Kings of Summer, Little Miss Sunshine, and The Way Way Back. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that some new indie films had been recently added to Netflix and I began throwing them onto My List. Here's what I've got for you this week.

Liberal Arts (2012):


Image credit: www.ew.com

Josh Radnor (How I Met Your Mother) stars in this film about a 35-year-old man who just can't seem to 'grow up'. He's going through a bit of a 1/3 life crisis when he meets Zibby, a student attending his former university. This is an interesting film about how to move on after college and step into the role of an adult while maintaining who you are. Rating: 2.5/5 pints of Ben & Jerry's.

In a World... (2013):


Image credit: en.wikipedia.org

I flipping loved this movie. I've never considered myself a fan of Lake Bell, but I really think she hit it out of the park with this film. In a World... is a fantastic movie about the voice-over industry and it's aversion to girls. It's a feminist film that calls for women to get passionate about something and go for it. Simple as that. With humor that is "funny because it's true", In a World... was my favorite watch this week. Rating: 3.5/5 pints of Ben & Jerry's.

Kinky Boots (2005): 

Video credit: CiwCiw.com GLBT Movie Trailers, YouTube

This British film was adapted from the true story of shoe factory that was saved by finding its own niche market - making women's shoes for men. The film was very entertaining. But I especially appreciated how it directly confronted the stereotypes associated with cross-dressing and gender identity. Rating: 3/5 pints of Ben & Jerry's.

Mr. Nobody (2009):



Video credit: hollywoodstreams, YouTube

Mr. Nobody tells the tale of Nemo Nobody, 117 years old and the last mortal on earth. This sci-fi film will force you to think about the realities and possibilities of time, because this movie isn't about the end of mortality as we know it...so much as it is about the ability to bend and control the events on a timeline based on the choices we make. Freaky, right? However, this movie feels super long, 2 hours and 19 minutes to be exact. But hey, that's 2 hours and 19 minutes of Jared Leto's beautiful face, so it might just be worth your time. Rating: 3.5/5 pints of Ben & Jerry's.

No comments:

Post a Comment